flex-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Jones <Timothy.Jo...@syniverse.com>
Subject RE: future of flash (yes, that old chestnut again)
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 16:31:12 GMT
"Standards-based" is criteria #0 of the open internet.  No matter how slick, non-standards-based
technologies are not open, and __that_alone__ makes them inferior.  Open-sourcing Flex under
Apache was a great move, and that's why I monitor this mailing list.  I'm quite encouraged
by the events here since Adobe's donation of Flex to Apache 18 months ago.

But as long as Flex requires the proprietary Flash Player to run, the end-to-end result still
falls short of this most basic requirement.  Someday, Shumway or FalconJS will solve that!
 As a developer who prefers to work with Linux, the state of Flash Player on Linux has been
quite disappointing over the years.  By contrast, almost everything in the HTML5 world is
driven by the W3C, Firefox and Chrome, and because those communities value all users, new
features appear on Linux versions of those browsers at the same time as everywhere else.
And this is the way it should be.

It's odd to me how you question the profit-making motivations of the HTML5 community, when
they are the ones donating their time on W3C committees, building open source HTML5 libraries,
and giving it away, while not criticizing Adobe's profit-only decisions that do not strive
to treat all users equally well.  The "drive the web forward" initiative is quite real, and
among open-source developers, it is a far more powerful incentive than profit ever could be.
  You have *them* to thank for most of the things you enjoy on the internet today.  Without
forward-thinkers like them, we would still all be on CompuServe.

There, my $0.02ยข..
 (....now get off my lawn ... :-) )

tlj