flex-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Jones <Timothy.Jo...@syniverse.com>
Subject RE: Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 19:05:46 GMT
The zip format is used in hundreds of file types.  Everything from WMZ (Windows Media Player
Skins), jar/war/ear J2EE files, newer document formats (odt, docx), etc.
And why not?  Zip is universally supported in most languages' libraries, and on just about
every OS, and there are dozens of competing & (mostly) compatible implementations.

The way I explain it to people: Zip files are everywhere, but the different extensions are
used to signal expectations of what kind of files and layout to find inside.

tlj
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffry Houser [mailto:jeffry@dot-com-it.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:50 PM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can Air files or .apk files be de-crypted?

  APK files are just zip files.  Change the extension and unzip it.  I think the SWF is inside
the zip and I assume it can be decrypted as easily as a SWF.

  [Ditto for .AIR files]

   I'm not sure what "based on the JAR file format" means; as I thought a JAR was also a zip
file with a different extension.

On 5/14/2013 2:46 PM, Greg Huddleston wrote:
> Others can answer re: AIR files.  APK files are just ZIP files based on the JAR file
format, with .apk file extensions.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur