flex-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Fuqua" <m...@availdata.com>
Subject RE: future of flash (yes, that old chestnut again)
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 22:40:57 GMT
Adobe made a strategic decision...one that seriously pissed off lots of
people including myself.  They were going to back to what makes them
money...creating tools for designers. Flex was never a money maker...if they
could go back and adopt the ExtJs model, things might be different (but that
is speculation at best...we can't go back).  Plus, it is hard to push
yourself as the tool creator for HTML5 and 'standards' plus push Flash.

This is not true for us on this list and Flash Pro users, but for the
standard folks it is very true.  They hate Flash and everything associated
with it.  Never mind their hate is misplaced... it is just a fact.

What might really hurt Adobe is their decisions surrounding CC and no more
perpetual licenses of their tools.  It will be interesting to see if this
adversely affects their bottom line and if so, whether or not they will
reverse course.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike_L_McConnell@lamd.uscourts.gov
[mailto:Mike_L_McConnell@lamd.uscourts.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:11 AM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: future of flash (yes, that old chestnut again)

I worry less about the message than I do the motivation behind the push
towards HTML5.  It still makes no sense to me from a developer's
perspective, though I've tried very hard to understand it.  "Standards
based" or not, HTML5 is inferior technology when compared to what can be
delivered with Flash and AIR (and the ease with which it can be done using
development environments like Flex).  Users don't know or care about the
runtime environment in which their applications run, nor should they.  This
isn't really about users, though.  It's not about the web.  It's not about
getting behind a "standard".  What it's about is creating demand for
products that make the difficult task of developing in HTML/CSS/JavaScript a
bit more palatable.  And where there's demand, there's profit
(theoretically, anyway).  I don't believe for a minute that this is some
noble "drive the web forward" initiative.  That's only the veneer.  The true
goal, in my not so humble opinion, is what it always is and always will be:
enhancing the bottom line.  There's certainly nothing wrong with a company
making money....it's why they exist, after all.  But to tout what is clearly
a less suitable solution (for RIAs) as the next great frontier is, at best,
disingenuous.  These are my opinions...your mileage may vary.

M. McConnell