flex-users mailing list archives

From Tom Brazil <tom.bra...@systar.com>
Subject Re: IDE Integration
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 03:26:43 GMT
Ahhh. "Artistic types". That would have been good to know from the start. As a Flex developer
since Flex2 days dealing with command-line compilations, the install for 4.9 and the usage
of the sdk is the easiest I remember.
I was wondering what was going on. I think Alex and gang have greatly simplified things.

Best regards,
Tom

On Apr 18, 2013, at 22:19, "Joe Kryzak" <flex@aligned.com> wrote:

> Changed the subject to avoid further hijacking of Michael's thread. Thanks, I'll forward
this on - I've assumed they just have to change the SDK in the IDE as well, but maybe FP was
the problem, not sure.

> Some background for your user type here - we give our application with custom mods to
more artistic types, so they can analyze the effects of scale and filter functions on the
application structure and color decisions. For instance, two thinner black lines surrounding
a color when zoomed out view as black. Glow usually doesn't work well, and they need to modify
and learn that on their own. They wouldn't be able to determine that without the tool.They
were asked to download 4.7, which doesn't contain the Worker class by default, but is a combination
IDE/SDK. When they got the error, they upgraded to 4.9.1 thinking that it would update to
the latest, and then asked me what was wrong when the installer didn't have an executable.

> So they're really not Flex developers, but use the tool as a visual developer.
>
> The script sounds helpful, we are on macs.
>

> On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> he wanted FP 11.5. Is this IDE integration information located anywhere.
> Re exact steps on using an SDK for each IDE are not on our site as far as I'm aware.
I think we assumed (probably incorrectly) that most Flex developers would know how to do that.

> Hopefully with the next version of the installer you'll be able to select the AIR and
Flash Player version you want.

> Using another version of Flash Player is fairly simple.
> 1. Download the correct playerglobal.swc and place in /frameworks/libs/player/<version>
directory.
> 2. Change your project to use that FP version. In FlashBuilder you just change the flash
player version in the compile

> There is no need to use a newer version of Flash Player unless you need to take advantage
of a newer feature. A swf compiled for FP 11.1 will run exactly the same in 11.7 as if it
was compiled for FP 11.7.

>> or is this resistance intentional to keep users more technical?
> It's not intentional we want to try and make as easy to use and install as possible.
>
> I also wrote a script that downloads and checks all flash player versions (checkAllFlashPlayerVersions.sh)
you can find it in the ide directory. There are also scripts in the same directory change
the Flash Player version and the AIR version. However they only currently work on linux/OSX
as I'm not that familiar with windows and .bat scripts.