flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Compiling MXMLs Through Windows Command Line
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:23:04 GMT
Is that release build or debug build?

Flex apps certainly can be a MB or more.  I think a release mode Hello World
is over 100K. RSLs helped, but if the user didn't have the RSLs already, the
user ended up downloading all of the RSLs as well, which is a much bigger
first-time hit.

Adobe signed Adobe Flex RSLs to allow for a special RSL cache so RSLs could
be used across domain security boundaries.  Adobe does not sign RSLs from
third-parties, including Apache, so there is no way to leverage the
cross-domain RSL cache anymore.  That is a bummer, but also note that if
Apache Flex starts releasing every couple of months or so, the probability
of a cache-miss goes way up, so more of your users would suffer the bigger
first-time hit.  That's why in the new framework, I'm trying to make the
code more granular so small apps are really small and RSLs will not be
important to those apps.

Without using RSLs, the next step to optimize is to use modules and put
everything not needed in the first screen into a module.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team