flex-users mailing list archives

From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CFF fonts render bolder in Apache 4.9 over Adobe 4.1a
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:33:48 GMT
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Tom Chiverton <tc@extravision.com> wrote:

> This simple application illustrates, if you put the Flex 4.1a ontop of the
> 4.9 and swap them backwards and forwards, it's obious that the small
> embedded font comes out bolder, blacker and all round muddier in the Apache
> SDK release.
> At larger sizes both are the same.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/**mxml/2009<http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009>
> "
>                xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.**com/flex/spark<http://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark>
> "
>                xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.**com/flex/mx<http://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx>"
> minWidth="955" minHeight="600">
>     <s:layout>
>         <s:VerticalLayout/>
>     </s:layout>
>     <fx:Style>
>         @namespace s "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/**spark<http://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark>
> ";
>         @namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/**mx<http://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx>
> ";
>

>         @font-face
>         {
>             src: url("assets/trebuchet.ttf");
>             fontFamily: "Trebuchet";
>         }
>
>         s|Label{
>             color:#333333;
>             font-size:12;
>         }
>     </fx:Style>
>
>     <s:Label text="default"/>
>     <s:Label text="default" fontFamily="Trebuchet" />
>     <s:Group height="10"/>
>
>     <s:Label text="default" fontSize="24"/>
>     <s:Label text="default" fontFamily="Trebuchet" fontSize="24"/>
>
> </s:Application>

I wont be able to test/reproduce the issue without the Trebuchet font.  If
it is not a licensed font, do you think you can upload it somewhere and
send out the link?
If it is a licensed font, maybe try to re-create this issue with a free
font like Apache OpenSans available here [1]

[1]
http://www.google.com/webfonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Open+Sans+Condensed

> On 25/02/2013 17:07, Tom Chiverton wrote:
>
>> I thought I had done so (using the AIR-based installer).
>>
>> There are certainly 4 files called flex-fontkit.jar (etc) in
>> lib\external\optional - there isn't some extra compiler argument required
>> to turn these on is there ?
>>
>> I'm trying to put together a simple test.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On 25/02/2013 17:03, Alex Harui wrote:
>>
>>> Font embed library is not and will not be donated. When using Apache
>>> flex you have to install the adobe library otherwise the font won't embed
>>> and I think it will appear thicker.
>>>

>>> Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.
>>>
>>> Tom Chiverton <tc@extravision.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have a style sheet that does, in part,
>>>
>>>         @font-face {
>>>             src: url("assets/trebuchet.ttf");
>>>             fontFamily: "Trebuchet";
>>>             embedAsCFF: true;
>>>         }
>>>         s|Label
>>>         {
>>>             fontFamily: Trebuchet;
>>>             fontLookup: embeddedCFF;
>>>             font-size: 12px;
>>>             color: #333333;
>>>         }
>>>
>>> in order to get the look we wanted in in earlier Flex versions.
>>> When compiling with the latest Apache release, all our fonts come our
>>> bolder - see http://oi48.tinypic.com/**t8an9c.jpg<http://oi48.tinypic.com/t8an9c.jpg>which
has 4.9 on top, 4.1 on the bottom.