flex-users mailing list archives

From Wayne Studley <waynestud...@me.com>
Subject Re: use flex to create picture (JPG or PNG) files from a PDF?
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:52:48 GMT
With regard this view PDF topic that's been bounded about of late - I'd last year built a flex
app that would parse/decode PDF's and convert the various objects into their various objects
- with some limitations I should add.

PDFx were preferable inputs but the results were pretty good - decoding fonts (only the characters
within the PDF), text (all ok), images (gifs/jpgs ok but png's were limited to non-alpha channelled).
All the binaries could be written to output files (such as the images - regardless of input-format,
fonts - although you'd need licensing agreements for the latter - needless to say).

Vector graphics were also resolved but I'd had a good few problems resolving RGB>CMYK>RGB
colour corrections (somewhat resolved but using native .net components - bit of a bugger as
I prefer PHP/MySQL - and generally open-source code bases - you'll all be glad to hear).

If anyone would like to positively contribute to the effort (I'd had to give up due to 'proper'
responsibilities - but I'm keen to get this behemoth working full-time!) I'd be happy to open
up the source - it ain't pretty but it works to a degree…

The majority of the work is down to decoding/decrypting various types of Adobe's PDF methods
- and it is a beast to overcome (countless hours on PDF discussion sites and binary/bytearray
info site (Thibault Imbert of AlivePDF deserves a shout here for fantastic inspiration a good
few years ago)) << am I allowed to double-brace comments on a coding forum?

I'd have to ask for open-source updates (I don't want anybody to take this and run with it)
and as I've not openly sourced anything before - can anyone on the Apache team let me know
a good route to go down so as to ensure that my previous work would be collaborated on as
opposed to… reaped?

I'll look forward to any feedback?

Wayne