flex-users mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: linux sdk install help?
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 05:14:35 GMT

On 1/26/13 2:31 PM, "Michael Montoya" <montoyland@gmail.com> wrote:

> How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not supported by a
> project under the Apache umbrella?
There are parts of the SDK that embed pixel bender executables.  According
to Apache rules, a release must be all source, so the build script requires
that you compile the pixel bender sources into their executables.  Adobe
does not have pixel bender compilers for Linux.

> this absolutely makes no sense to me.
> Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting Linux,
> which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical...
> boo this really turns me off to the project!
It is a legal technicality.  We should look into making the pixel bender
stuff optional somehow.

In theory, you should be able to manually install and setup one of the
binary distributions on Linux.  However, none of the active committers are
using Linux as far as I can tell.  I would love to have someone who is a
regular Linux user help us test the release candidates on Linux and help
with documentation or even contribute to the installer.  Would you like to
volunteer?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team