flex-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Jones <Timothy.Jo...@syniverse.com>
Subject RE: linux sdk install help?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:07:57 GMT
I'm very glad to hear this... I'll try extracting from the MacOSX tar file on Linux soon and
report back my findings.

Timothy Jones

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:15 AM
To: users@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: linux sdk install help?

On 1/26/13 2:31 PM, "Michael Montoya" <montoyland@gmail.com> wrote:

> How is it that Linux, THE open-source OS par excellence is not
> supported by a project under the Apache umbrella?
There are parts of the SDK that embed pixel bender executables.  According to Apache rules,
a release must be all source, so the build script requires that you compile the pixel bender
sources into their executables.  Adobe does not have pixel bender compilers for Linux.

> this absolutely makes no sense to me.
> Supporting OSX can't possibly be all that different than suppoting
> Linux, which leads me to belive that the reason is more political than technical...
> boo this really turns me off to the project!
It is a legal technicality.  We should look into making the pixel bender stuff optional somehow.

In theory, you should be able to manually install and setup one of the binary distributions
on Linux.  However, none of the active committers are using Linux as far as I can tell.  I
would love to have someone who is a regular Linux user help us test the release candidates
on Linux and help with documentation or even contribute to the installer.  Would you like
to volunteer?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team