flex-users mailing list archives

From Dahn Maier <d...@maierinc.com>
Subject Re: What is the general perception of Apache Flex and Flash in mid 2012?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:34:48 GMT
I think we need to be honest - except for the developers of Flex (who
understand the benefits intimately) the world out there is separated in two
categories:
- people who want Flash gone
- people who don't care

As we all know from economics - the crowd sentiment is a powerful driver.

Also I have recently read an article attesting that Flash shaves about 2
hours of battery life on a mac laptop. If there was ever an argument
against Flash this one is it for me.

Let's ask a different question - who else other than the people who know it
will want to use it once HTML + js have caught up? In other words how much
effort does one want to put into it for a 3-5 yrs max survival rate? (not
to mention the dependecy on the FlashPlayer which is a). not open source,
b). going the game route with explicit statements by Adobe that it might
not be backwards compatible with the Flex sdk).

That being said the develop once / deploy all proposition is extremely
powerful. It looks to me like a cross compiler to HTML / javascript is the
most important and viable road to take at the moment.

+= $0.02

Dahn

--
Dahn Maier
Maier Inc.

This transmission is intended solely for the person or organization to whom
it is addressed and it may contain privileged and confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient you should not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. If you believe you received this
transmission in error please notify the sender.