flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: [Flex/FlexJS] External dependencies (Adobe, Google, ...)
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:29:08 GMT

On 8/22/2017 10:54 AM, Olaf Krueger wrote:
> Hi,
> we have to do a decision in near future what we will do with our Flex apps.
> So I'd like to know if there are any external dependencies that could stop
> our Flex or FlexJS apps from working.
>
> Flex:
> Is there something needed to do at Adobes side to ensure that Flex apps will
> work with future AIR releases? And if so, is there any commitment by Adobe
> that they will support Flex in future?

  For all intents and purposes, Flex is an ActionScript framework. The
compiler adds some syntactical sugar (MXML), but it compiles down to
ActionScript.
  As long as Adobe AIR continues to support ActionScript, there is no
reason why Flex would stop working.

  To my knowledge, Adobe offers no formal support for Apache Flex. They
offer some indirect support, such as the time Adobe employees dedicate
to the Apache Flex project.  What sort of commitment are you looking for?

  Someone else can chime in on FlexJS specifics.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur