flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [FlexJS]Runtime type checking and PAYG
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:56:33 GMT
I've mentioned the notion of debug-mode beads on the mailing list a couple
of times.  It would be great to see this idea explored more.

By definition, now that you've debugged your code, any type-checking code
path becomes unused in production, which is what we don't want.  But
adding code paths that go away in production, or swapping in different
beads during development that have more code paths that check for common
mistakes is certainly within the charter.  We want to maximize developer

I think Google Closure Compiler supports a debug flag you can use in
COMPILE::JS blocks that gets dropped in production.  If we need to mimic a
similar flag for SWF so code can compile outside of COMPILE::JS blocks
that might be ok.

On 7/11/17, 1:07 PM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just wasted over an hour because I was initializing a BinaryData with a
>string instead of an ArrayBuffer.
>I would like to add a typecheck to the bytes argument in the BinaryData
>constructor to throw an error if something other than an ArrayBuffer is
>provided. We cannot use strict typing to catch this in the compiler,
>because the argument is different for SWF and JS. Is this a violation of
>PAYG? It’s sort-of just in case code, but not really because it’s
>protecting against errors.
>Thoughts? Other solutions?

View raw message