flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] technical debt
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2017 06:41:55 GMT

> You cut my previous reply which means I need to repeat.

Why is that? All modern email clients support threaded messages. so people should be able
to see my email and your original in context. When replying repeating the whole email is generally
frowned upon. Sorry if I cut too much out as finding the middle ground can sometimes be tricky.

Rereading your message perhaps rather than "The singular code smell” you meant "This singular
code smell”? That line in your email isn’t entirely clear.

> You called out changes since 0.8. And I only looked at the change since in Sonar. I took
about 5 minutes, a very superficial check.
> My point in general was the the recent changes do look pretty clean.

I’m not sure I would call this clean as it added 5,300 odd code smalls (a 41% increase to
the total) and 89 days of technical debt. [1] The new code had a technical debt rating of
19.5% when the technical debt of existing code was around 2-3% so that probably indicates
something has changed.

We’re still getting a “A” for matainability as we have a lot of small files with smallish
amount of TD [2], but that could slip into B (5-10%) or even C (10-20%) fairly quickly if
new changes keep at the current TD rate.

Of course people have different options of what is clean and what isn’t and a lot of what
Sonar is reporting isn't going to matter so I would certainly wouldn't take those numbers
too literally.

2. https://builds.apache.org/analysis/component_measures/domain/Maintainability?id=org.apache.flex.flexjs.framework%3Aflexjs-framework-parent