flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git commit: [flex-asjs] [refs/heads/develop] - Uploads are assumed to be POST
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2017 07:24:50 GMT
My bad. It does in fact compile down to this:

function uM(a){a=Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments,0)}w('org.apache.flex.utils.Language.trace',uM);

So trace does not actually do anything. Great! :-)

However, it’s still being called by the client code. (It just does nothing.) Not super important,
but it would be nice if at some point we can figure out if there’s a way to strip out the
calls completely.

> On Jul 12, 2017, at 10:07 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oof. I think I’m still waking up. ;-)
> I did not realize what I was looking at with the goog.DEBUG. My recollection is that
trace statements are still being used in the release, but I’ll double check that.
>> On Jul 12, 2017, at 9:56 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>> Well, the goal of using goog.DEBUG in Language.as trace() was to convince
>> GCC to eliminate trace().  I haven't checked whether it is working or not.
>> Requiring everyone to use goog.DEBUG around trace statements sounds like
>> a pain.  Probably better to teach the publisher to remove it if GCC can't
>> be taught to do it.  We visit almost every line of the JS output in the
>> publishers right now.
>> My 2 cents,
>> -Alex
>>> I completely agree. That’s why I have not been bringing this up despite
>>> it being on my mind. When the discussion came up, I couldn’t help but
>>> join. ;-)
>>> Thanks! I hadn’t noticed. I was missing an import of of goog.DEBUG in
>>> COMPILE::JS I’m guessing the imports of goog.bind and goog.global was
>>> enough to make goog.DEBUG visible to the compiler in Language.as.
>>> Once we’re on this topic, there’s something that I had wanted to bring up
>>> for a long time: I think trace statements should disappear in the release
>>> JS build. Should we put all the JS trace code inside an if(goog.DEBUG)
>>> block?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harbs

View raw message