flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] question about porting an Adobe Flex 3 project to HTML+JS
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:48:52 GMT
I suggest you watch the getting started video by Yishay and the VS Code video by Josh.

Don’t try to port to Flex 4 first. It should not be significantly different porting from
Flex 3 or Flex 4. If anything, porting from Flex 3 should be more straight-forward because
the architecture is simpler.

To set some expectations:

You cannot expect to just copy your UI code as-is. You will need to rewrite your view using
FlexJS components. Many of them will be simple replacements (i.e. <js:Label/> instead
of <mx:Label/> etc. but the event subsystem is different, and binding is different (you
need to declare which kind of binding you need), skinning is different and much of the functionality
is different. Layout is definitely different.

You will need to wrap your head around strands and beads. (Basically, you have a list of beads
which defines what look and behavior your components have.)

We’re here to help.

Good luck!

> On Jun 30, 2017, at 3:19 PM, Allen YANG <allen.yang@raritan.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
> I have a Flex 3 project that was built on Adobe Flash Builder 3.6 (SDK Flex 3.6A); it
needs to be ported to support a non-flash environment.  This program was not originally written
by me; but I have software development experience.
> I installed a trial version of Flash Builder 4.7 on my Windows 7 machine, then installed
JDK 1.8.0_131 and replaced the Flash Builder's JRE with the new JRE version; installed FlexJS
0.8.0 using FlexFlex SDK installer, and successfully built and ran the example project, thanks
to Alex Harui's  [Using FlexJS with Adobe Flash Builder]<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+Adobe+Flash+Builder>
wiki page.  I have also gone over the Youtube video of [Migrating from Flex to FlexJS<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&list=PLbzoR-pLrL6pLDCyPxByWQwYT>]
by Harbs (I have to admit that video is a bit over my head now)
> I am looking for advices what will be the best approach for me to do the porting. Questions
I have are:
> (a)    Should I start by converting the project from Flex 3 to Flex 4 first using Flash
Builder 4.7's own Flex 4.6.0 SDK; and if it is successful, then convert the Flex 4 project
to HTML+JS using FlexJS SDK?  Or it is better to directly migrate from Flex 3 to HTML+JS using
> (b)    If I convert to Flex 4 first, then I am trying to prepare my browsers for debugging
in a Flash environment. My most frequently used browser is Google Chrome.  I found that there
is no easy way to replace Chrome's flash player, starting Chrome version 57, by the debug
version downloadable from Adobe.  Could anyone advise me how to set that up for debugging?
> (c)    Could someone recommend the URLs that will help me to get prepared and educated
about porting an existing Flex project by FlexJS, especially regarding the name spaces and
> One of my MXML files looks like:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
>       xmlns:net="flash.net.*"
>       verticalAlign="middle" horizontalAlign="center" layout="absolute"
>       xmlns:dropdown="components.*"
>       xmlns:controls="com.iwobanas.controls.*"
>       xmlns:local="*"
>    xmlns:dataGridClasses="com.iwobanas.controls.dataGridClasses.*"
>    applicationComplete="appInit();">
> <mx:Script >
>       <![CDATA[
>             import mx.effects.RemoveItemAction;
>             import mx.collections.ICollectionView;
>           include "deallist.as";
>       ]]>
> </mx:Script>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Allen
> Allen Yang
> Raritan, Inc.
> ________________________________
> Ce message, ainsi que tous les fichiers joints ? ce message, peuvent contenir des informations
sensibles et/ ou confidentielles ne devant pas ?tre divulgu?es. Si vous n'?tes pas le destinataire
de ce message (ou que vous recevez ce message par erreur), nous vous remercions de le notifier
imm?diatement ? son exp?diteur, et de d?truire ce message. Toute copie, divulgation, modification,
utilisation ou diffusion, non autoris?e, directe ou indirecte, de tout ou partie de ce message,
est strictement interdite.
> This e-mail, and any document attached hereby, may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized, direct or
indirect, copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof
is strictly forbidden.

View raw message