flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Removing PasswordInputBead has no effect
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 07:02:55 GMT
Hi,

>  Unless something is functionality that you would (virtually) always need, it’s a separate
bead.

So for CCS we have border, does everyone need borders? Why do we only a sub set of the font
attributes included? Some people are not going to use all of them or in fact any of them and
some other may need other properties so why are they not seperate?  Not that I think these
should be removed into seperate parts. The issue is just about every feature you can name
is going to optional to someone. So I think we near a clearer definition of what PAYG is.

Another example why for instance was flexGrow and flexShrink added in to the CSS code? Shouldn't
they be implemented in line with the PAYG principal in another class? And there are numerous
other examples of this. I feel that PAYG is not being applied consistently and seems selective
on who is making the contribution.

> PAYG is already well understood

IMO it has not been clearly defined. Alex has described in various ways as it size / runtime
cost only to move to goal posts. I for one would like a clearer definition of it.

> All functionality should be implemented as beads when practical. Beads should be as modular
as possible with the smallest possible functional set.

What about the cost of violating DRY or the single responsibility principal which two beads
do similar things? Is it really OK to add technical debt / penalise users of a new feature
when it would be less cost modifying/improving an existing bead at a much smaller cost? How
do you discourage copy paste coding?

Thanks,
Justin