flex-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Tynjala <joshtynj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Compiler doesn't recognize reserved JS words like 'enum'
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 15:04:28 GMT
There are a number of reserved words in ActionScript that can't be used as
identifiers, but they are allowed in JavaScript. We've been trying to
support each of them in the compiler whenever someone needs a new one. It
sounds like enum may be one of those that JavaScript allows that
ActionScript currently doesn't.

ActionScript and JavaScript used to behave the same way with reserved
words, but starting with ECMAScript 5, JavaScript removed some reserved
words from the list and also started allowing reserved words as identifiers
in certain specific situations. We've already modified the Falcon compiler
to allow several new identifiers, and it's not too difficult to add more.
We ran into trouble when trying to allow public, private, and internal, but
others that aren't namespaces have been fine.

- Josh