flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] trace statements in SDK code
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 22:03:45 GMT

> Interesting topic.  Is this something that folks think is important for
> this release?

Again IMO no need to hold up this release.

> I would not want to have a "no trace statements" policy.  IMO trace
> statements are a useful tool when used appropriately.  As long as the tool
> chain can remove trace statements in production code

Currently while trace statements are omitted in production, there still a cost of a function
call, split and static lookup (on the JS side) - split may be expensive but I’ve not profiled
it. This would add if we had lots of trace statements in the SDK.

The way this is usually done is with logging system rather than single trace statements. You
get a few extra features that way and a little bit more control, that may however come at
a runtime cost / size cost as well.

> The only "rule" we had in regular Flex was that trace statements should
> pollute your output with tons of stuff.

The Mouse drag trace statements currently in the SDK seem to be a candidate for removal at
least IMO.