flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: FlexJS MXML ids and classNames
Date Tue, 23 May 2017 07:28:14 GMT
Hi Piotr,

Well in the old Flex world there was no global id like concept. There were only local ids,
only in rare cases we needed to access stuff “above” and that’s what the parent was
used for.  So I guess that in general the same should apply for new MXML components. The only
difference is that in Flex we didn’t need the id’s to be globally unique, in JS they however
need to be unique. What I’m proposing, is to continue using only local ids, but have the
compiler or the framework use the “id” attribute in MXML and to translate that into an
“effective-global-id” by appending the parents “effective-global-id” with “:{local-id}”
generating a new global id. This would eliminate a lot of possible problems, but also it would
probably break the option to style elements with CSS based on their id. But I think that’s
bad practice anyway, I usually use style classes for that. If you want to continue to use
ids, you would simply have to replace the “lala” CSS id selector with “myapp:someintermediate:another:lala”
and all should continue to work. Don’t know if there are any other drawbacks.

Chris