flex-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Ent <p...@adobe.com>
Subject [FlexJS] Group container
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:27:22 GMT

Today I've introduced the FlexJS Group container - a lightweight alternative to the Container
class. The Group container provides hardly more than <div> on the HTML platform and
the code generated using it should produce a DOM without the nested <div> elements that
Container gives you. Further, Group does not have a default layout. This allows you to size
and position the Group's children using CSS.

Along with this commit is an updated BasicLayout designed to work with Group (the VerticalFlexLayout
and HorizontalFlexLayout beads should work as well).

The SWF side for Group may or may work too well at the moment - I have to complete updates
to BasicLayout for that to work correctly.

The real power from Group will come when I check in additional changes to UIBase and some
of the other core components. Right now some of those components automatically set an element's
position style to either "absolute" or "relative". To provide a better experience on HTML/CSS/JS,
FlexJS code should not be setting the position style unless it is done by a layout (or done
via CSS).  I will also be changing the View (the one we use as MyInitialView in the examples)
to be based on Group rather than Container which will also eliminate another layer.

Please give Group a test if you can.

Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Project