flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: The state of FlexJS
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 02:23:47 GMT
Hi,

> Is there any table or similar mapping FlexJS vs AS (classes, components, properties,
methods...)?

There is one of the wiki but only at the component level. Properties and methods are not always
going to match the names of the FlexSDK and their may be some features missing on the FlexJS
side.

> I have been fiddling with this for a couple of years now trying to convert existing large
projects from Flex / FlashBuilder to FlexJS, but keep stumbling on missing bits.  I know and
appreciate it is open source but, as I am not so technically competent, the messages back
and forth are disconcerting for someone looking for a complete solution.

I don't believe there will ever be a magic recompile FlexSDK to FlexJS so some effort will
be required hopefully less over time. However most of your code (business logic and the like)
will currently recompile and  it’s still far less effort compared to rewriting your application
in another framework / language.

While FlexJS is currently a little rough around the edges (i'st not a 1.0 release yet), and
you should expect to run into some issues using it, there’s not a single issue that I’ve
run into that couldn't be sorted out one way or another. One or two (such as Container padding)
don’t have perfect workarounds, but in all cases it's not a major concern.

Thanks,
Justin