flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Changing our general mode of development?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2017 09:41:14 GMT

I think it’s OK to develop however we might be comfortable on a feature branch, but we definitely
want an approved procedure which must be done before committing to the develop branch.

> On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:29 PM, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> For the last months, we have seen a huge increase in people working on the FlexJS and
people working on first applications using FlexJS. I think we should discuss how we can make
sure we don’t have interruptions like the current one in the future.
> One point that has been causing pain in the past, was that some people are using Ant
and some are using Maven. Maven is quite a bit more restrictive than Ant and it builds a lot
more and tests a lot more. Just as an example in contrast to the Ant build the Maven build
builds all Examples and it also tests some of them to be runnable in a browser. The Ant build
only builds the framework and most of the latest problems only pop up if you build an application.
It has occurred several times that Changed failed the Maven build but didn’t fail the Ant
build … just because the Ant build doesn’t build everything. We could avoid this problem
if people would not simply ignore build failures reported by the ASF Jenkins, which is taking
care of the Maven build. It is currently setup to give feedback within an hour or so.
> Sometimes the “fix” was to exclude a module in Maven. This usually had the side-effect
of the RAT plugin failing after that because it now finds files without Apache headers. A
quick solution to that problem is to log-in to the ASF Jenkins and to click on “wipe workspace”
of that build. After that this type of problem should go away immediately.
> Another point was that sometimes people work together on a larger refactoring and check-in
stuff to develop in order to share code. We should start using feature branches for this.
This has currently not been happening at all. I have setup everything that if you create a
branch IN ALL 3 REPOS with a name “feature/{somename}” (but the same “somename” in
all three ;-) )  the ASF Jenkins will setup a Job for that which builds all parts in one go
and give you immediate feedback on the state of your branch. Feature branches that are not
“blue” should not be merged back to develop.
> One last pattern I have encountered was people reporting stuff like: “I have been working
on X and have almost finished ... I know it will break Y, but I’ll push my changes and fix
Y after that” … keep in mind: By breaking Y everyone working on FlexJS is forced to stop
working so I will probably veto every suggestion I encounter on the list that has a similar
> FlexJS has matured and we are approaching a 1.0, but we also must mature the way we develop
or we will hurt early adopters and people willing to help get FlexJS to shape. We want enterprise
users to use our stuff, then we must start working in an enterprise-acceptable way.
> Keep up the awesome work and lets just get a little more awesome ;-)
> Chris

View raw message