flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: git commit: [flex-asjs] [refs/heads/develop] - Add JS support for non pixel numeric properties ie fontWeight
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:24:23 GMT
Hi,

> Clearly, it must be possible to create good apps without numeric font
> weight since most everyone on this list has created a Flash-based Flex app
> and could not use numeric font weight.

What's your point? It's possible to create applications without any features you name, be
that components like datagrid, or using no CSS at all or not using borders or colour or images
or what ever.

If you add a designer to your team they are very likely to want to support different fonts,
alphas, font weight, background image, line height, text transform and the like.

Why would we actively want to stop people from setting font weights? Why would we not want
to follow the standards? Why would we want to disable browser features just because they are
not supported in AS?

I think a nice 1.0 set of CSS features to aim for would be to support most of the well supported
subset of CSS 2.1 features as mentioned on caniuse.com and elsewhere.

Users of the framework would probably expect this as a minimum if they have a JS background.

The properties include the following:
	• background-color
	• background-image
	• background-position (2 params)
	• background-repeat (repeat | repeat-x | repeat-y | no-repeat)
	• border-collapse (collapse | separate)
	• border-color
	• border-spacing
	• border-style
	• bottom
	• color
	• clear (none | left | right | both)
	• display (none | inline | block | list-item)
	• float (none | left | right)
	• font-family
	• font-size
	• font-style (normal | italic | oblique)
	• font-variant (normal | small-caps)
	• font-weight
	• height
	• left
	• line-height
	• list-style
	• list-style-image
	• list-style-position
	• margin
	• overflow (visible | hidden | scroll | auto)
	• padding
	• position (static | relative | absolute)
	• right
	• text-align (left | right | center | justify)
	• text-decoration (none | underline | overline | line-through)
	• text-indent
	• text-transform (capitalize | uppercase | lowercase | none)
	• top
	• width
	• word-spacing
	• visibility (visible | hidden)
	• z-index

We support most of them to some extent already.

Thanks,
Justin