flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS]Layout redux
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2017 06:46:07 GMT

On 2/24/17, 10:37 PM, "Yishay Weiss" <yishayjobs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>One more thing to consider is how effects will fit in here. I can imagine
>scenarios where items inside of a container need to have an effect
>applied to them. Currently, the move effect relies on changing x, y
>values, which implies absolute positioning. If they’re all part of a
>flexbox I’m not sure how effects would apply.
>I ran into these issues when implementing LayoutTweener and
>EasyCollapseBead for the Accordion component.
>If we’re serious about having swf feature parity, I think we’ll end up
>doing everything with absolute positioning on the swf side anyway, so we
>might as well implement it the same way on the JS side. The only downside
>to this that I see is possible performance issues.
>What are your thoughts on this?

That's a valid approach, but I'd much rather let the browser do the work
and try to emulate that in the SWF.  Leveraging the browser should result
in smaller faster applications.  However, if it turns out to do anything
reasonably "nice" in JS requires absolute positioning then, sure it may be
time to give up on the browser and write the code once to run in both SWF
and JS.

It isn't wrong to have both choices so folks can use the browser when it
works for them and switch to a fatter/slower but perfect-
across-all-browsers version if needed.

My 2 cents,

View raw message