flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Text binding showing undefined
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2017 23:12:44 GMT

On 2/16/17, 2:21 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> It is totally fine, however, to have a TextModelWithEmptyStringDefaults.
>> And have Express use it and Harbs could use it in his app.  Again, what
>> percentage of the time in production will a label's text property not be
>> set to something other than “"?
>
>It would be a reasonably common with binding I think. (I ran into the
>issue reasonably quickly multiple times in this app I making). But there
>are work arounds so it's not a big issue.

Only if you haven't initialized your variables.

Flex definitely had checks for this, but IMO all these extra helpful bits
of code added up to something.

>Basically between creating a component and setting the value, if the
>values that is need to be set to comes from a HTTP call then the time
>between those two events could be noticeable by the user.

IMO, the framework doesn't know if you want to show the user a label that
is being filled via an HTTP call with "" or "Waiting for data..." or
something else, so it is presumptive to use up the code to assign "".

>I think it would be good idea to document all of these work arounds /
>fixes for common problems that Flex SDK or JS developers may run into.

Yep, we just need volunteers to help out.  We are also trying to remember
these things to add them to the Express components.  The goal is that
users of Express shouldn't hit these issues because that is where we add
more compensation code like folks are used to in Flex.  The premise is
that FlexJS won't be competitive if it has the overhead of Flex in JS.
FlexJS concepts like Beads, PAYG, etc in place to let someone get down to
the low-level if they need to.  And when you go low-level, you can't
assume much compensation code.

-Alex