flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] - Is FlexJS ready for production?
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 16:15:21 GMT

On 2/9/17, 12:58 AM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>I think it would be great to refactor ir and bring it here. Although, I
>have some things on my plate already, so maybe more later.

If folks help Lizhi clean it up and we get enough votes to bring it here,
then I won't stand in the way.  Let me point out some reasons not to bring
it here for folks to think about:

1) Apache doesn't like "umbrella projects".  I don't exactly know why and
haven't dug into it, but apparently there were some umbrella projects in
the past that ran into trouble and the solution was to split the big
project into several projects.  Starting up a project is definitely harder
than bringing in code to an existing project, so I understand the
temptation to keep bringing more things under Apache Flex.

2) Scalability:  In one vision of a wildly successful future for FlexJS,
we'd ship even fewer SWCs than we do now.  The Jquery folks would take
over the Jquery SWCs.   They'd export the code from our repos to their
repos and release them on their own schedule.  We would remove the code
from our repos.  Same for CreateJS, GoogleMaps, etc.  IMO, we are only
providing these SWCs for now as a proof of concept.  I can't imagine the
amount of list traffic involved if we had one huge monolithic release of
every AS library in the world.  And I can't imagine the amount of list
traffic if we had 200 third-party libraries all on their own release
schedule.  In short, I would prefer that we build an ecosystem of
third-parties rather than have everyone have to go through our community
in order to release.  Even JIRA doesn't really handle categorization of
bugs in a hierarchical fashion.

So, I'm not sure what the right answer is, but we'll discuss it more when
Lizhi's code becomes more ready.

-Alex