flex-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlosrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Some things still missing ni FlexJS
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 18:35:18 GMT
Hi Peter,

> I was speaking to a friend that has some JavaScript developers working for
> him. They use React and React/Native for their mobile apps. His feeling is
> that web-centric apps (e.g. Amazon.com) are going to be replaced with
> mobile apps since mobile devices are cheaper than laptops. They are
> concentrating their app development to server-side services with native
> apps delivered via React/Native.
> IMO then, what FlexJS needs is the ability to go native. This isn't
> necessary for a 1.0 launch, but having FlexJS/Native with applications
> constructed in ActionScript and MXML and then cross-compiled into Swift or
> Java could go a long way to make FlexJS the platform for cross-device
> development.

I already see that. but for 2.0, as you said native (swift or java) seems
huge work.
But...what about SWF *native* ?
I mean, SWF Stage3D mode is very performant (I think even native) right?
I think FeathersUI is Stage3D powered and is performant on Native. someone
correct me If I'm wrong.
So maybe SWF should be not display object ready but stage3d ready to allow
us to have the same performance as native

That's is for me the main reason for SWF existence. Alex said that actual
SWF FlexJS framework based on display list could be very performant...I
don't know since we didn't make any benchmark here and that it had the
advantage of have accessibility implemented...