flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FLEXJS] ASDoc App
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:21:49 GMT

On 12/18/16, 5:27 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Google doesn’t index JS applications

Is this true?  The article Om posted seems to disagree.

>I think HTML is best for that usecase.
>Displaying help in IDEs ususally works by looking for a file with the
>same name and relative path as the class being displayed (but replacing
>the file ending with html). These IDEs will not be able to display our
>API documentation without updating the IDE. And for one of our major
>IDEs, I deffinitely know that hell will freeze first before they come
>with an update.

This may be true for Java, but for Flex, it appears that both FDT and FB
work from the DITA xml files, not from HTML.

>You (Alex) have stated several times, that you will favour new Features
>over stability and other things. That’s a valid way to see things, but I
>have been working for enterprizses fort he last ... gee 17 years and I
>know that they like features, but even more they like stability,
>reliability, standards etc. That’s why I’m constantly pulling to get/keep
>a bit of these ideas in FlexJS.

Really what I am saying is that to get to 1.0 fastest, we need a critical
mass of features that enables someone to produce a production application,
and figure out the usability/approachable of our APIs.  So
backward-compatibility with last week's APIs is not important and
regression testing isn't important until we understand what it takes to
make someone(s) successful.  I will be much more serious about stability
and backward-compatibility after we hit 1.0.

View raw message