flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Avoiding goog renaming
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2016 19:19:53 GMT

On 12/13/16, 10:41 AM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash
Muppirala" <omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>(Possible unrelated to the current discussion)
>
>For what it's worth, Typescript is pushing the metadata (decorators)
>concept forward [1]
>Angular2 is fully utilizing this concept in the form of annotations [2]
>
>There is also a proposal to add metadata/decorators in Javascript directly
>[3]
>
>Looks like the industry is slowly starting to full on embracing the
>concepts introduced by Flex 3/4.  For example Angular 1 and 2 support
>dependency injection.  In the Flex world, Parsley, Robotlegs etc. easily
>added support for DI by utilizing the custom metadata support and runtime
>describeType (or its FlexJS equivalent)
>
>If we don't support custom metadata, it will make it very hard for 3rd
>party developers to add these kind of cool features.

That good to know.  FlexJS already supports what Flex users think of as
Metadata.

I think annotations are something different, and this thread about
@externs or [Externs] is about something more like annotations at act as
preprocessors that generate first-class data structure on the class.
Metadata is just additional data that requires a special API to access at
runtime.

I don't want to take on annotations in the compiler right now.  We have
plenty to do, and having a few optional ASDoc/JSDoc tags is the path of
least resistance for me.

-Alex