flex-dev mailing list archives

From flex capacitor <flexcapaci...@gmail.com>
Subject Converting JavaScript libraries to AS3
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 14:34:23 GMT
There's a few large libraries out there that are written in JavaScript.
I've been working with them and am disappointed it's not AS3 for obvious
reasons. Since the community has been working on cross compiling AS3 to JS
is there any work on taking a JavaScript library and parsing it into a AS3
class? I'm not talking about creating a swc that you drop in and then you
have code completion in Flash Builder (I think this is externs?). I'm
talking about taking a github library or source and parsing it into AS3

Even if we may eventually cross compile that AS3 library back to JS I'd
rather import the JS library, and then work with that AS3 version of it.

Also, we as a community are catering to the JS community by converting AS3
down to JS. Can we rather convince developers to write their libraries in
AS3 from now? I mean is that already possible (it's early morning here hope
this makes sense)? I know we are working on frameworks like FlexJS but I'm
talking about addressing the thousands of libraries written in JS. My
thought on that is, along with everything else we're doing and all the
progress we've made over the years, if it's already possible to convert AS3
to JS would making Flash Builder free draw JS developers to use AS3 for
their libraries going forward?

PS Sick and tired of catering to JS from 1995