flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: FlexJS -- we really need to get bugs into JIRA
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 16:51:13 GMT
Hi Justin,

I think we are using JIRA more these days, but IMO, it still isn't worth documenting every
change in JIRA.  Apache projects are supposed to feel more like potlucks than corporate efforts,
and I don't want some volunteer with only an few minutes of time to decide not to contribute
a null check because they have to fill out a JIRA issue before committing a change.  so there
is always a chance something will be missed in JIRA.  Searching the dev@ and commits@ lists
and trying the nightly build should probably become a standard practice before reporting a

Anybody can have a JIRA account, and yes, I encourage everyone to file bugs, but I know not
everyone will.  Also realize that your list of other frameworks are all corporate controlled
which is why you felt compelled to list the corporation's name with the framework's name.
 The Apache model is different.  At Apache, folks from all over the world can be committers
and thus don't have to use JIRA in order to get something fixed, they can just do it.

In fact, I would rather your team propose fixes instead of trying to workaround bugs in Flex
or FlexJS code.  Then they are more likely to earn committer rights and can just make a fix.
 IMO, that will be way more efficient than having to file JIRA issues and wait for someone
else to fix it.   If your team can think and act like they are part of our team, then I think
we will make the most progress.  The dev@ list is our common area.  The other folks writing
code for FlexJS often just ask on dev@ "Hey, I'm having a problem with this, is anybody else?"
 I'll bet Pan asked that internally to the rest of your team, but if Pan asked that right
away on dev@ then we would all have saved time.

It is a different way of thinking, but that's the cool thing about Apache.  You can have more
direct involvement than you can with other corporate-driven projects.