flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Major benefits of FlexJS over other approaches
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:56:46 GMT

as we were having a discussion in the "what's keeping the others ..." thread.

I agree that from the feature-set I too am a little jealous. I too see Generics and Lambdas
as a really cool feature of TypeScript. Most of the others however I see more as "Yeah you
need that if you don't know how to code correctly" ;-)

In my talk at solutions.hamburg and the talks after that talk I noticed that the biggest advantages
of our current path are:

- Migration of existing codebases while keeping the general logic and most changes applying
to the UI only

- The huge number of well established existing third party libraries for all sorts of use-cases
(Most of the non-ui-related frameworks should be reusable in JS applications)

- TypeScript is really new and therefore most existing libraries are max one year old and
are lacking the maturity the well riped Flex libraries have

- What ActionScript is missing in features, we can extend (and I think we already started
discussing adding generics support to ActionScript)

- You never know what the big companies do, you can't predict which path Microsoft will be
going with TypeScript. If they decide they need to change something, you have to live with

At least these features are the ones I noticed people getting big ears most.