flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject [Discuss] What's keeping the others from participating?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 06:08:55 GMT
Hi guys,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to ask you what's keeping you from participating in
any discussions here on the list and on contributing anything else.

Apache Flex currently has the 10th largest committer base in the ASF, but currently it feels
like there is only 4-5 people still active on this project. Having this in-diversity in discussions
is starting to get more and more tiresome as I almost know the responses which are going to
come if I post something. I think most of the time I could start writing the reply for the
expected response right away so I don't have to do it later.

Are we doing something wrong?

What's keeping all of you stay silent?

Is is:

- lack of interest?

- lack of time?

- that you think this is too much rocket-science? / It's too complicated to contribute

- a consumer attitude that you just want to know what others are doing for you?

Apache is all about community, but for me this doesn't feel much like a community anymore.
Sometimes I think we could rename dev@flex.apache.org to alex@flex.apache.org as he is definitely
the most active poster. Discussing stuff with the project sort of feels more and more like
"If I want to change something, I'll take it to the list and discuss it with Alex first".
It shouldn't be that way.

Is is just us 4-5 people and we simply have to live with it, or can we do anything to get
you guys back on board?

For the last more-than-a-year I have been working exclusively on trying to lower the complexity
to contribute in order to get more people on board. It seems that effort was a waste of time.
Please prove me wrong.

@Alex: I would like to kindly ask you to please refrain from responding right away and let
at least a hand full of others respond first. I would like to see if this eventually prevents
the "someone else is taking care of it for me" effect.

Chris