flex-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS} When to Bead (was Re: [FlexJS] enabled property)
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 16:09:13 GMT
Hi Alex,

I like the Yishayw concept os adding beads in CSS. Don't know about the
runtime cost of this, but it would allow users to configure if they want
this or those beads for their use. If you add in the component, all is done
there and people can't change it. Maybe you're the person to decide if this
could be done or there's a penalty to pay that make It not viable.

@Yishayw, Disable bead is not yet finished, you said it need a way to
change. I was implementing it but found problems. I'll return to it as soon
as possible to change it. Regarding SWF, I'm not centering my efforts
there, since MDL is mainly HTML, but I'm reserving space to implement SWF
more later, but it will be much more complicated, since it will requiere
create all the MDL visuals in flash. I think for now there's so much work
in HTML - MDL.

> On 10/27/16, 12:48 AM, "carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos
> Rovira" <carlos.rovira@gmail.com on behalf of
> carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
> >Thanks,
> >
> >I was not thinking this from that point of view. Maybe in MDL has sense to
> >include majority of beads since it's a concrete implementation of visuals:
> >Material Design Lite
> >But don't know if we could have a base control (ButtonBase...for example
> >but doesn't like too much that name) and then another (the Button *actual
> >class*) that instantiates ButtonEffect and Disable beads
> >
> >btw, if you notice, I remove the "Bead" ending in my beads, since I think
> >is less verbose and the mxml is pretty descriptive (those are parte of
> >js:beads).
> It does look fine in MXML, but I worry about how to find them in ASDoc.
> That's why I want to try to create a smarter doc app for FlexJS where we
> mark classes with @bead and @component so folks can filter better.
> >As well I implemented effects with boolean flags. I have to make different
> >beads for different controls since are effect "per-control", with some to
> >them common and available in an MDLEffect bead that the rest extend from.
> IMO, it is all a trade-off.  The Basic set will have everything broken out
> into beads, but I fully expect the most popular first-time-user component
> set will have lots of beads aggregated into it to make developing your POC
> less verbose.  So yes, you can break stuff out into pieces inside MDL as
> well, but realize that is another trade-off.  An aggregation of beads will
> be heavier and slower than just baking some code into the component, but
> if you aggregate beads then you can factor them out later if you aren't
> using.
> -Alex

Carlos Rovira
Director General