flex-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Chiverton ...@extravision.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] What's keeping the others from participating?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:12:22 GMT
For me, FlexJS is 'rocket science' - I'm not an expert in compilers, or
even the build tools involved - I've written a few simple maven scripts
here and there.

I also have less time - my employeer has a single Flex application now,
and one in AIR. New work is in Ember, Angular or some other 'JS native'
framework.

I was looking to help with the change the website CMS but I've been well
beaten to it :-)

I do not see a problem in "living with it".

Tom

On 13/10/16 07:08, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> I just wanted to take the opportunity to ask you what's keeping you from participating
in any discussions here on the list and on contributing anything else.

> Apache Flex currently has the 10th largest committer base in the ASF, but currently it
feels like there is only 4-5 people still active on this project. Having this in-diversity
in discussions is starting to get more and more tiresome as I almost know the responses which
are going to come if I post something. I think most of the time I could start writing the
reply for the expected response right away so I don't have to do it later.

> Are we doing something wrong?
>

> What's keeping all of you stay silent?
>

> Is is:
>
> - lack of interest?
>
> - lack of time?
>
> - that you think this is too much rocket-science? / It's too complicated to contribute
>
> - a consumer attitude that you just want to know what others are doing for you?
>

> Apache is all about community, but for me this doesn't feel much like a community anymore.
Sometimes I think we could rename dev@flex.apache.org to alex@flex.apache.org as he is definitely
the most active poster. Discussing stuff with the project sort of feels more and more like
"If I want to change something, I'll take it to the list and discuss it with Alex first".
It shouldn't be that way.

> Is is just us 4-5 people and we simply have to live with it, or can we do anything to
get you guys back on board?

> For the last more-than-a-year I have been working exclusively on trying to lower the
complexity to contribute in order to get more people on board. It seems that effort was a
waste of time. Please prove me wrong.

> @Alex: I would like to kindly ask you to please refrain from responding right away and
let at least a hand full of others respond first. I would like to see if this eventually prevents
the "someone else is taking care of it for me" effect.