flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Current FlexJS license/notice issues
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 01:09:12 GMT
Hi,

The discussion on legal-discuss has died down [1] and this as I see it the consensus:
1. Notify upstream and ask them to fix their issue.
2. Only parts of the license that relate to what is actually bundled needs to be included.
3. When missing retrospectively adding headers and copyright for a 3rd party file is recommended
(but not required).
4. Where copyright is not clear add a header but not the copyright line.

So given the above are their any objections for me to:
- Fix header and copyright for OpenFL
- Fix header and copyright for CreateJS
- Add header but not copyright for FlatUI (see discussion below)

I’ll also ask upstream to fix any issues i.e. missing headers for OpenFL and missing license
and copyright clarification for FlatUI.

For FlatUI there are 14 contributors to the repo [2] one main one (who looks to be no longer
involved) and 3 other significant ones. There’s no obvious connection between them and designmodo
(that I could find) other than they contributed to this repo. The license was originally CC
BY 3.0 but changed to MIT in 2013 early in the projects history. [3] Their web site does claim
copyright [4] but copyright is not stated on the github repo (even under the copyright and
license section) [5]. So while it may be reasonable to assume designmodo are the copyright
owners it's certainly possible that the other contributors have claims as well and it may
be that all copyright holders did not give permission for their code to be relicensed.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201609.mbox/%3cD4077465.75C8D%25aharui@adobe.com%3e
2. https://github.com/designmodo/Flat-UI/graphs/contributors