flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: [DRAFT] Apache FlexJS 0.7.0 and Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 Released
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 07:34:22 GMT
Just to add my 50ct to this discussion.

Justin did bring up the issue. He even brought it when we were first discussing starting a
release. The discussion sort of dried out without a resolution, then when it came to the release,
he mentioned it again. But again no action was taken. So I too see a complaint about PMCs
coming up with such stuff in the last minute as not valid.

ASF is community over code, but the one thing the ASF deals with is protecting us as developers
as well as our users from licensing issues. It's this extra protection and care that distinguishes
Apache releases from the typical Github projects. This is why in every bank or insurance company
I was working in, there never was a discussion about using ASF software, if it's not ASF however
you have to jump quite a lot of obstacles in order to use a library. I remember quite some
rounds with legal and quality assurance people.

The ASF has earned that trust because we have people in our communities that care about this
sort of stuff. Having some legal caretaker is one of the coolest thing a project can have,
cause it lets us coding-monkeys do what we like to do and we can somehow be lazy and trust
that someone is taking care of this. I hate legal stuff. To me it's just getting in my way
... sort of as others think working on build-, code-quality or writing documentation should
be done by others.

We have a pretty heterogenous community. I know I'm definitely the build-monkey, Justin's
the legal-monkey, we have a lot of code-monkeys. Why not use the specialities of each other
instead of complaining about it? I know I have to work on my side about not ranting about
code-quality, for example, but I'm trying ... hope you guys didn't notice any recent rants
from my side ;-)

If we hadn't let the discussion about Justin's findings die when he brought it up and had
resolved the problem instead, the problem would have been solved. So how about us addressing
the issues Justin has and in case of a "I think this way, you think that way", let's involve
legal and have these things settled once and for all?

 Chris