flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 15:31:28 GMT
I don't quite agree.

The problem with FlexJS is that you have to do things differently than with Flex. For Flex
the web is full of useful and less useful how-tos on the topic, but for FlexJS there is next
to nothing to be found.

It would be great to have some Documentation, walking an interested User into the details
and concepts of FlexJS. Without a "handbook" we have some kick-ass software only kick-ass
users will understand to use. I doubt that targeting only the kick-ass users will bring us
the user-numbers we are looking for. It's not "features over all". The more we do without
documenting, the more documentation-debt we produce.

I tried writing documentation for the parts I do, while I'm at it. I hope I was doing a somewhat
good job of this, and I think it would be great to not only code concepts but write down some
words about them in the Wiki.

Perhaps we should start a wiki page, containing features we consider important for a 1.0.0
and could add a dedicated docs-wish list. Jira sort of doesn't cleanly support creating and
prioritizing a big-picture.

Chris

________________________________
Von: Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 8. September 2016 17:16:03
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: FlexJS - roadmap to 1.0 release

What kind of documentation are you talking about?  Just filling out ASDoc,
or pages of words?

There are so many things that need to be done that having folks who aren't
currently committing code to FlexJS help with filling out ASDoc and
recruiting people who are good at writing to write more verbose
documentation would be a great help.  I don't agree that doc is more
important than functionality until you have enough functionality, and the
lack of a testimonial makes me think we aren't quite there yet.

If someone tried FlexJS and isn't sure what they can do, a more specific
question/comment would help.  We could create a JIRA issue called "FlexJS
Doc Wish list" and folks can comment in there.  We can't guess what folks
need. It would be better for folks to try to do what they want to do and
if it can't do it, they should ask about it.

Thanks,
-Alex