flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Official naming for the "standard" Flex SDK
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 16:51:42 GMT
On 9/7/16, 3:56 AM, "OK" <post@olafkrueger.net> wrote:

>Kessler CTR Mark J wrote
>> Should not use flash in the name.  The main SDK can target flash player,
>> air, and native apps (with captive runtime).
>Hmm, I thought that all these runtimes are under the same hood wich is
>called "Flash platform" by Adobe.
>Seems that the Adobe naming confused me also ;-)

Well you do need tools from the Adobe Flash team to target the native apps.

I agree that there is a possibility that better naming could reduce
confusion, but I also agree with Mark that renaming the current Flex SDK
as "Flex Flash Platform" wouldn't be my first choice.

>Kessler CTR Mark J wrote
>> Then there is FlexJS which is divergent from the main SDK.  So I think
>> Apache Flex as a title would do just fine.
>Ok, but that means that both SDKs exists side by side:
>->Apache Flex
>->Apache FlexJS
>But my understanding is that FlexJS is under the hood of Apache Flex:
>->Apache Flex
>-->Previous Flex

Not sure what you mean by under-the-hood.  Sure, Apache Flex is the
project name, but for product names, I think we do want the Apache FlexJS
SDK to be just another option along with the Apache Flex SDK.  I am
hopeful that the "JS" in FlexJS will be enough of a differentiator.  I've
tried to avoid using "legacy" when referencing the current Flex SDK.

Longer term, what if someone writes a TypeScript emitter for FalconJX?  I
think we'd still put it under the FlexJS moniker and not start using the
term FlexTS, but I could be convinced otherwise.

My 2 cents,

View raw message