flex-dev mailing list archives

From Kessler CTR Mark J <mark.kessler....@usmc.mil>
Subject Re: Official naming for the "standard" Flex SDK
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 13:02:28 GMT
    It really would be considered more of a suite in that example.  But they are not separate
products at this time.  The targeted output is what's changing.  Most people would just say
I develop with Flex and I make apps for Mobile /  Browser / Desktop.

    The only different one is the FlexJS which has some customization / minimization that
doesn't exist in the standard SDK.  That one reason it gets mentioned separately is because
of its differences.

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: OK [mailto:post@olafkrueger.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 6:56 AM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Official naming for the "standard" Flex SDK

Kessler CTR Mark J wrote
> Should not use flash in the name.  The main SDK can target flash player,
> air, and native apps (with captive runtime).

Hmm, I thought that all these runtimes are under the same hood wich is
called "Flash platform" by Adobe.
Seems that the Adobe naming confused me also ;-)

Kessler CTR Mark J wrote
> Then there is FlexJS which is divergent from the main SDK.  So I think
> Apache Flex as a title would do just fine.

Ok, but that means that both SDKs exists side by side:
->Apache Flex
->Apache FlexJS

But my understanding is that FlexJS is under the hood of Apache Flex:
->Apache Flex
-->FlexJS
-->Previous Flex

So if you'd like to make sure that there will be no confusion if you talk or
write just about "Apache Flex" you have to mention that you mean the "AIR,
Flash,... whatever SDK".
Probably at the end this discussion is useless but maybe a unique name would
avoid confusion, especially if FlexJS gets more and more popular and moves
into the focus of non-Flex developers.

Thanks,
Olaf