flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: AW: AW: [FlexJS] ASDoc?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 07:02:10 GMT
Hi Alex,

I don't think we should make ASDocs an application. If we would, Google could no longer index
the online resources. Currently if I need info on an API I search in google and it usually
directs me to an Adobe page where I can read it.

Another thing is, in the current ASDocs I remember some methods, classes, properties being
flagged as "Air" ... in case of FlexJS we would additionally need "Flash" and "JavaScript"
because all of this conditional code.

I'll check out if I can find some comment parsing code in falconjx, if there is eventually
I could use this ... I'll dig a little deeper ... and I don't think having API documentation
is a small fish ... I think it's essential. Ok ... you could continue to use the old ASDoc
but this just makes things more complicated for new users (and existing ones)

Chris

________________________________
Von: Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 1. August 2016 20:29:09
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [FlexJS] ASDoc?

I think there are past discussions about ASDoc and Falcon in the archives.

I think FalconJX does keep the asdoc around in the AST nodes.  I think you
are probably right that Falcon doesn't.  Some folks think that writing an
ASDoc Emitter for FalconJX will be the fastest way for us to get ASDoc
output working.  I think that's what I would do if I were to spend any
time on it, which I don't plan to right now.  Too many bigger fish given
that we can use the Flex SDK for ASDoc.

Longer-term, I keep wondering whether FlexJS should produce ASDoc as we
know it (a pile of HTML files).  IMO, FlexJS will have additional doc
filtering needs.  Because we have separation of concerns with the beads
pattern, there are going to be lots of public APIs that the application
developer doesn't really need to know about, and public APIs that
component developers need to know about.  And maybe more attributes, like
components that only work in HTML5, or components that are JS-only, etc.
Having the ability for the doc to filter what you see might be very
useful.  So I keep thinking about ASDoc as a FlexJS app instead of static
HTML files, and I think if we did that, we might output something other
than what the Flex SDK does now for ASDoc.

-Alex