flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: FlexJS MXML ids and classNames
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2016 15:12:29 GMT

On 8/8/16, 7:54 AM, "Harbs" <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>Agreed. That’s why I’m suggestion we using “elementID” instead.

IMO, that's more work for the less-sophisticated scenario, which is why I
would propose the opposite (another variant of PAYG).  A "simple" app that
uses CSS id selectors that is going to be used to compare FlexJS against
other options probably should use "id" as expected.  What percentage of
your MXML components have multiple instances on-screen at one time?  For
those components, would it be painful to have to set an mxmlID property
instead of "id"?

Also, if you do use an MXML component twice, could the compiler someday
discover that?

>On Aug 8, 2016, at 5:46 PM, Josh Tynjala <joshtynjala@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Using id as the element id would probably lead to duplicate element ids
>> somewhat frequently, I suspect. Any time there are multiple instances of
>> the same component on screen, you'd have duplicates. In the worst case,
>> custom item renderer where a sub-component has an id would result in
>> duplicates.
>> - Josh
>> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Browsers don’t blow up, but they arguably should…[1] ;-)
>>> I’m not sure why “elementID” would be confusing.
>>> The other way that I see doing it is to use “id” for the element id,
>>> use some other property for the Flex “id” (uid maybe?)
>>> I don’t like the idea of making it a compiler option or MXML tag.
>>> [1]http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/
>>> 127178/two-html-elements-with-same-id-attribute-how-bad-is-it-really
>>> element

View raw message