flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encode and Decode UTF8
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:48:09 GMT
Just to add:

There are JS APIs for this, namely TextEncoder[3] and TextDecoder[4], but browser support
is incomplete. I would probably use these APIs for browsers which support them, and use the
“borrowed” code as a fallback.

[3]https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/TextEncoder#Browser_compatibility
[4]https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/TextDecoder#Browser_compatibility

On Jul 1, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a need to read and write UTF8 strings to “ByteArrays” in FlexJS. FlexJS already
has a BinaryData class which can serve as a stand-in for ByteArray, but it’s missing reading
and writing UTF8. I’d like to add these methods.

> UTF8 gets a bit complicated when dealing with 2,3 and 4 byte characters. There’s a
JS library which solves this problem already on GotHub[1]. The code was placed into public
domain[2].