flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: [DISCUSS] Handling of namespaces and xml
Date Tue, 17 May 2016 18:09:29 GMT
The Manifest files seem to allow making a set of mxml tags be available using one prefix. The
classes referenced by the "js" prefix fire example contain classes from different packages.
You should have to import all packages individually. And you would be importing all sorts
of helper classes you might not way to have. I guess the manifests are solely used by the
mxml compiler.

I guess I shouldn't break anything, if I pack in the manifests in swcs built by Maven. So
I'll give that a try.

I also wasn't suggesting to remove anything, just adding something to the swcs and was hoping
for confirmation of my observation ... I know we will have to live with the ancient flash
builder for the next 100 years and we shouldn't change anything here ;-)

Chris

-------- Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>
Datum: 17.05.16 18:17 (GMT+01:00)
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Handling of namespaces and xml

I don't know this part of the compiler at all.  I think, though, there are
a couple of issues in here:

1) Making SWCs self-contained.  Sounds good to me.  Honestly, I don't know
why the compiler needs a separate -manifest.xml file.  When I look at the
catalog.xml, I think I see everything we need in it.  It may not be
necessary to bundle the -manifest.xml file at all.  IMO, the -manifest.xml
might be used to build the SWC, but to consume the SWC, I'm not sure the
-manifest.xml should have to be required.

2) Getting rid of the -manifest.xml files.  I would be concerned that some
IDE is counting on them, so I'm not sure if we can truly get rid of them,
but as in #1, I don't see why we can't make the compiler use information
in the swc.

3) Making the .xml files have a schema.  No objection here unless it has
backward compatibility impact on the IDEs.

4) Having to look for flex-config.xml at all.  IMO, the flex-config.xml
defines a set of defaults for that version of the SDK.  If we add a new
flag, the default value goes in there.  Are you saying that as long as you
have a way to do that for Maven, you could skip looking for flex-config
since everything else in it (default libraries) should be otherwise
specified in the pom?

Thanks,
-Alex