flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: [FLEXJS] Strange Flat manifest
Date Thu, 19 May 2016 20:41:12 GMT

On 5/19/16, 8:47 AM, "Christofer Dutz" <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>well I set the priorities differently ... so currently you would vote for
>code duplication and I would vote for subclassing. We shouldn't just
>continue that path but should decide as a project. If the project votes
>for code duplication I will try to adjust, but I wouldn't simply go that
>path just because you on your own think it's the way to go.
>
>You might get a teenieweenie bit of performance, but maintenance is a
>nightmare as you have to post every minor change to every component
>"Copy-Paste-Derived" from that.

Maybe we have different definitions of "duplication".  When a SWC like
JQuery.swc wants to use the Label from HTML.swc it doesn't subclass Label
or copy/paste code, it simply uses a manifest.xml to map the HTML.swc's
Label to its own URI.  I don't see any maintenance issues with doing that,
but I could be missing something.

>In general we should discuss design decisions a little more an not just
>implement what we think is best ... that's ok for a POC but not the way
>we should do in general.

This "decision" was made during the POC phase.  The same technique is used
in the regular Flex SDK so s:ArrayList maps to mx:ArrayList.  It isn't
anything new.

-Alex