flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Heat maps for falcon and asjs
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 07:52:04 GMT
Hi,

A little off topic but may be of interest. I did some hotspot analysis  on Falcon / FlexJS
for a talk I’m giving and you can find the drafts here:

http://cssw.info.s3.amazonaws.com/Apache/hotspots/flex-falcon/index.html <http://cssw.info.s3.amazonaws.com/Apache/hotspots/flex-falcon/index.html>
http://cssw.info.s3.amazonaws.com/Apache/hotspots/flex-asjs/index.html <http://cssw.info.s3.amazonaws.com/Apache/hotspots/flex-asjs/index.html>

Click about to zoom in.

The redder area are hotspots i.e. files that have more changes and complexity than other files
and are more likely to have bugs or be good candidates for extra testing or review. It’s
generated from loc, simple complexity measures, and version control history.

May be a few false positives but I’d be interested to see if anyone finds it of use. It
gives a nice birds eye view of the entire code base. It can also be colour coded in other
ways, by who changed the file most for instance.

There are a few files in compiler.jx that stand out. The build.xml files stand out but are
mostly false positive I would guess - some further complexity analysis would give a better
indication there. If I get time I’ll make one showing changes between 0.5 and 0.6 as that
is likely to show more recent hotspots if anyone thinks it would be useful.

One thing I noticed in the FlesJS analysis (not in the above links) is there is a large degree
of coupling between Button.js and Label.js. Anyone have a guess to why this may be? I know
Button uses Label but it seemed a little surprising given it's also used elsewhere.

Thanks,
Justin