flex-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Martin <chrsm...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: No longer able to save zip files using FileReference.save in Chrome
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:29:13 GMT
Please forgive the formatting.  It looked a lot better on outlook.com when I drafted the email
:(
Chris

> From: chrsmrtn@outlook.com
> To: dev@flex.apache.org
> Subject: No longer able to save zip files using FileReference.save in Chrome
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:25:42 -0700
>
> Hey Team,
> Just recently Chrome has been updated which now blocks certain files with certain extensions
(like those with .zip extension) from being saved to the desktop. Chrome no longer presents
a Save As dialog when using the following code. (taken and slightly modified from the ticket
[1]).
> var saveFile:FileReference = new FileReference();
> saveFile.save(zipBinaryContent,"ourArchive.zip");
> If you change the filename parameter to not have the ".zip" extension, then the Save
As dialog appears.
> The chromium team's current response on the issue is as follows [2]:
> "This is working-as-intended.
> For security reasons, Chrome will now block dangerous (executable) file types from being
downloaded via Flash since they bypass Chrome's Safe Browsing protection.  This bypass is
being actively exploited MUCH more than it is used for legitimate reasons unfortunately, so
for users' security it is blocked.

> If you need to work around it: 1) download via javascript rather than within Flash, or
2) download to a different extension and ask the user to rename. If there is a domain where
a large number of users are adversely affected (>1000 downloads/day), please let me know
so we can look into it further."
> This change in Chrome has an immediate affect on any Flex based application that used
the documented flash API to save files to the user's system. A full list of extensions has
not been made available yet, but so far if you use that API with the following extensions
the Save As dialog will not appear and there will be no warning or feedback shown to the end
user: