flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FlexJS] Splitting up debug and release builds
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2015 07:15:53 GMT

On 12/15/15, 9:56 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 2015 8:45 PM, "Alex Harui" <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/15/15, 4:21 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash
>>Muppirala"
>> <omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The FB External tools task: FlexJS (FalconJX Debug and Release Build),
>> > always runs the debug and release builds.  Most of the time when I am
>> >developing, I don't need the release build.  If we split it up, we can
>> >reduce the development compile times, right?
>>
>> Yes, it will save time, but I'm not sure how much.  A big chunk of time
>> also goes to copying of the Google Closure Library to bin/js-debug.
>
>Can we link to the google closure library in the sdk folder instead of
>copying it to js-debug folder?  The debug code usually does not get
>deployed out of the dev box.  Thoughts?

Well, some of the work going on is to set up a file that lists relative
paths to every JS file involved.  The paths are shorter if everything is
under one folder, which is why I think we copy today.  At one point, I
tried to only copy the set of Google Closure Library files that actually
mattered which is a small subset of the whole thing, but it was a bit
buggy so going back to that would be more work.  Doing the "file math" to
compute the paths to the SDK from wherever your project is could be tricky
if you have stuff on different disk drives or using UNC and things like
that.  Not sure which way to go.

>Maybe
>> we should tie the generation of the js-release version to the debug
>>flag?
>
>That sounds good to me.   In the JS world it had become a common practise
>to have a minify task in a grunt/gulp release build step.   This usually
>takes quite a bit of time.

Well, the easiest implementation is to simply not run the Google Closure
compiler at the end of the compiler steps.  But then to get your release
version you will compile the whole debug version again.  It would be more
work to add an option to simply generate a release version from the
js-debug folder.

-Alex