flex-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject AW: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.5.0 RC1
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 09:21:56 GMT
Well if the vote passes, I would like to push out maven artifacts for the ASF parts as Flexmojos
knows how to get the missing parts :-)

Von: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. November 2015 03:36
An: dev@flex.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.5.0 RC1

-1 binding, willing to change if NOTICE/LICENSE issues and font jar issues are resolved via

Other PMC members can vote +1 and make this a release as only 3 +1 votes are required to make
a release (as long as there's more +1s than -1s).

I’d suggest we don’t release the binary either way as it contains Adobe software which
I’m sure we don't have legal permission to distribute.

For the source release I checked:
- Hashes and signatures correct.
- LICENSE and NOTICE have some issues (see below)
- All source files have Apache license header
- No unexpected binary files in the release
- Source files have headers
- Can compile from source
- unit test fail but that may just be my setup or expected results

The LICENSE and NOTICE files in the top level are a little confusing e.g. How does someone
know if to look at LICENSE or LICENSE.jx? Also looks like LICENSE.swfutils is missing? Assuming
LICENSE and NOTICE are the correct files.

For the LICENSE there is no need to list Apache licensed material in LICENSE [1] but that’s
not a blocker. However if a copyright header was removed/replace then it should be placed
in NOTICE [2] after permission has been obtained [3]. It’s not clear to me here what as
happened with the GCL code and why it is listed in LICENSE.

There’s a NOTICE.swfutils which includes content that’s not in the top level NOTICE file.
Should this file be included in the release?

NOTICE is missing the same lines (The Initial Developer of the Original Code…) from initial
donation/Adobe. That’s probably required.

For the binary release the LICENSE/NOTICE is missing quite a bit [4][5].

 From a quick look:
- LICENSE should include swtobject,  Batik, javacc, saxon, CERN, xml-apis and possible others
- NOTICE is missing information from other NOTICEs (Flex SDK and others?) contents, that would
include copyright lines from other Flex projects (Flex and others?), the original copyright
owner (Adobe),  asc compiler, easing equations, Batik, Xerces, Xalan, Velocity?, Adobe Font
stuff? (afe.jar etc) and possible others.

Fairly certain this is a blocker. Can we actually include the Adobe font jars in a binary
distribution? Do we have permission to distribute them? Especially without  having users agree
to the non AL compatible Adobe SDK license agreement?

We should be able to tell from the jars in the various directories. But for completeness I
can see the following paths to class files in jars, so that gives an indication off all the
bundled software:
adobe/abc, com/adobe/agl, com/adobe/fontengine, com/adobe/fxg, flash/css, flash/fonts, flash/localization,
flash/swf, flash/tools, flash/util, flex/ant, flex/messaging, flex2/compiler, flex2/tools,
java_cup/runtime, javax/xml, macromedia/abc, net/sf/saxon, org/apache/bcel, org/apache/commons/collections,
org/apache/commons/discovery/, org/apache/commons/logging, org/apache/flex, org/apache/flex/forks/batik,
org/apache/flex/forks/velocity, org/apache/html/dom, org/apache/log, org/apache/oro, org/apache/regexp,
org/apache/wml, org/apache/xalan, org/apache/xerces, org/apache/xml, org/apache/xpath, org/javacc/,
org/w3c/css and org/xml/sax.

Few other minor things/questions:
- The font files compiler/generated/dist/sdk/frameworks/*.ser are empty is that correct?
- The generated file externs/js/externs/svg.js is missing an Apache header is that correct?

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers (see  1a, 1b or 1c).
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle