flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [FALCONJX][FLEXJS] XML handling (was Re: [FlexJS] Back port)
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:08:26 GMT

On 11/10/15, 8:54 AM, "Jim Norris" <jim.norris@e-work.com> wrote:

>Backward compatibility with our large set of deployed (XML based) content
>is critical, so very likely JS rather than JSON.

Follow up:  I agree that you wouldn’t want to change what is stored in the
database.  I’m probing the notion of whether you could/would/should
convert the XML to JSON before sending up to the client (and convert from
JSON back to XML when the data comes back).  Depending on the complexity
of the data, you could reap significant performance and bandwidth gains by
grabbing some Java library and converting your XML to JSON before sending
the data to the client.

Here’s one article [1].  That said, I’m a client guy and totally out of my
area of expertise on these matters.  Either way, I think we’ll keep
looking into how much of e4x we can do on the JS side.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] http://digitalbazaar.com/2010/11/22/json-vs-xml/